Saturday, April 13, 2019

THE GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIR by Mark Hess


THE GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIR  by Mark Hess
This book never quite caught me in its web.  I didn’t like the characters. They all seemed shallow and grubby.  The plot wandered about until the “secret sin” was revealed and then the secret didn’t seem to matter much at all.
Carel, the main character, just wandered about the story making or revealing mistake after mistake, not learning anything from his errors. His wife (current) and daughter do manage to have redeeming qualities of a sort. The writing is okay, but there are too many German words that are not defined or explained. I read German, so I knew what was written, someone unfamiliar with the language would be frustrated .
I can’t really recommend this book. Maybe someone else will read it and love it, I don’t.
2 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment