Friday, February 10, 2023

UNRAVELING by Peggy Orenstein

UNRAVELING by Peggy Orenstein Who, in the twenty-first century thinks: “I think I’ll knit a sweater. Now, where can I find a sheep to shear?” Peggy Orenstein, the author of UNRAVELING, that’s who. By turns hysterically funny and irritatingly detailed, she tells how, in the throes of the Covid 19 pandemic, she relates the saga of “the world’s ugliest sweater”, from shearing the sheep to spinning the yarn to finally knitting the sweater and all the steps in between. Along the way, we also learn a bit about her life, dreams, politics and family. Having, during my life as Home Ec teacher and Pioneer Life docent, done all of the crafts Orenstein details in her sweater making quest, I was able to appreciate her travails. The detail she includes may be too involved for some. I found it enchanting. If you are interested in “Process”, you will find the book satisfying. If you are a knitter (or other crafter), you will empathize and sympathize with Orenstein as she details her journey. Altogether, I found this an enchanting book. And the sweater is NOT the world’s ugliest! 5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment