Sunday, July 16, 2023

REMARKABLY BRIGHT CREATURES BY Shelby VanPelt

I was prepared to dismiss this book as entirely ridiculous after my self-appointed requirement of 75 pages; however, what I discovered was a perfectly delightful, well written and tender character study. The story concerns a 70-year-old woman stuck in grief for a teenaged son lost to an early death, a 30-year-old man-child stuck in anger at a mother who abandoned him at age 9 and an aging octopus stuck in a too small “prison” longing for the vast ocean he can hear outside the aquarium. One supporting character I enjoyed was the busybody owner of the grocery store who inserts himself into everyone else’s business. To tell you more would spoil this novel. Read it for yourself and be delighted. I hope the author writes another tale for us to enjoy. 5 of 5 stars for a surprisingly good novel with an unusual collection of characters and a first-time author.

No comments:

Post a Comment