Saturday, February 7, 2015

THE LONG WAY HOME by Louise Penny



This was my first Inspector Gamache novel and that was a mistake. I should have read the preceding novels first! Even at the end of the book I was still sure I was missing important nuances of plot , conversation and place.
That said, I enjoyed this book. The mystery lurks into being in the first paragraphs and keeps one on edge for the remainder of the book.  The characters are well defined. The plot is rich with suspense and is logically rendered.  You will care about the characters and be surprised by the ending. There is humor in the characters, especially Ruth and Rosa, as well as humanity and empathy. 
If you know a bit about art and artists you will be ahead of the game.  If you know nothing about art and artists you will learn a lot about their temperaments and work styles. Neither instance will detract from the story.
5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment