Saturday, February 16, 2019

THE FLAPPER, THE IMPOSTER, AND THE STALKER by Charlene Bell Dietz


THE FLAPPER, THE IMPOSTOR, AND THE STALKER  by Charlene Bell Dietz
This was an interesting read, but I am still wondering how to classify it and if I liked it. It is a murder mystery, but also a coming of age and an historical novel. I didn’t much like Kathleen, the main character. The ending was too abbreviated, or not necessary, I can’t decide which.  From reading the notes, apparently this book is a prequel to THE FLAPPER, THE SCIENTIST AND THE SABATEUR.
The 1920’s dialogue, clothing, music and situations all ring true. The Chicago elements are accurate (I am a Chicagoan). Stephens College is a real school in Missouri that debutants and wealthy females attended (and still do). The plot is well thought out and executed.  Kathleen’s adventures are (mostly) believable.
I’m still not willing to give a rave review, but it did hold my interest, had a few humorous parts and a few truly scary parts.  Kathleen was a bit of a twit, but then she was 17 at the start of the book. I’ll be interested to read someone else’s thoughts.
3 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment