Monday, February 25, 2019

THE LAST COLLECTION by Jeanne Macklin


THE LAST COLLECTION by Jeanne Mackin
I was fascinated by the personalities of Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli and the intricacies of Haute Couture and politics in Paris just before and during WWII. But I was also intrigued by the daily life of various classes of people (upper class, middle class, merchants, professionals, wage workers, spies, artists, military, etc.) during that same period. Even the Ritz Hotel and the various cafes became a part of the story.
I was so curious about the gowns being designed, constructed and worn that I looked them up on Google. Yes, they are all there!  I hope the finished book has photographs of Lily’s first Schiaparelli dress and the “tree” costume. 
At first I thought this would be just another mildly interesting romance with clothes. I was delightedly mistaken. THE LAST COLLECTION is well worth your reading time and would be a good choice for book groups.
5 of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment