Monday, October 2, 2017

LAROSE by Louise Erdrich

LAROSE  by Louise Erdrich
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn’t sustain an interest in these characters or their story. Perhaps it was the jumps from past to present or present to indigenous tale or family to family, I just didn’t care. 
The whole premise of giving away a child (and then taking him back - sort of) just didn’t seem believable.  Emmaline never really seemed to be a “real” person, just a non-entity.  LaRose was too good to be true. Nola was too submerged in grief to be interesting. Maggie was my favorite character and the most believable. I couldn’t understand why anyone would believe anything Romeo said.
I have read other books by Erdrich and liked them. This one was just a disappointment.

3 of 5 stars for good writing, poor story 

No comments:

Post a Comment