Monday, October 2, 2017

Year One: Chronicles of the ONE by Nora Roberts

YEAR ONE: Chronicles of THE ONE     by Nora Roberts (J D Robb)
I had never read either Nora Roberts (or J D Robb) so I was unsure what to expect when I received this advanced reader copy. I assumed she was a romance/chick lit author so was not expecting much.  What I got was a science fiction novel with a detailed, tension filled plot, clear, well-developed characters and a great read. This is the first book of a proposed three book set so I was expecting lots of characters and that is what I got. I kept a running list and thumbnail sketch of the characters as I read. This was very helpful and I hope the author/publisher have a “cast of characters” in the finished novel to keep all the players straight.
There are three different sets of characters and situations as the story develops. These three sets do eventually come together after each meets challenging circumstances as a world-wide virus decimates the population. The virus unleashes death, but also exposes the remaining population to an assortment of human personnas – fairies, wizards, seers, etc. These beings are referred to as uncannies as opposed to the “only human” population, some of whom accept the uncannies and some who wish them only harm and death.  This sets up the ongoing conflict between the various segments of the remaining population and also introduces the idea of “The ONE” who will save the world.
This book is a satisfying novel on its own and does have a logical and satisfying conclusion.  The conflict set up for the remaining two books is similar to a race war, only between “human and Uncanny”.  The writing is clear. The characters are well developed and interesting. The relationships are logical. The virus is believable as are the situations.
Altogether a rich and satisfying world has been set forth filled with interesting characters and a clear plot.  I’m looking forward to reading the next installment.

5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment